Leon the tourguide

Leon the tourguide
Leon the Tour Guide

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Crisis in the Arab World

According to scholars of the Middle East and Israel situation, like Uriah Shavit, the Arab world considers that the West is in crisis and it is its panacea.

One of the most amusing comments I heard from Shavit, in his lecture at Tel Aviv Univesity last night, about the way Moslem intelectuals see the West, was that one Arab "intelectual" (I think he said it was Ibn Kaldun) comes to this conclusion because the "victims" of the decline live in the word "West" (where the sun sets) and the "saviours (the Moslems) live in the "East" (where the sun rises).

Unlike the Moslem intelectuals I don't concern myself with denigrating the world of Islam as they concern themselves with criticising the West and its culture.

I rather try to think about our (western) culture and its pros and cons.

Unlike the Moslem intelectuals who see Islam as having a mission to save the world I don't see western culture as a God sent saviour of a decadent Moslem culture.

I really don't know which culture is better, western or eastern. I cetainly don't accept esoteric names like "West" or "East" as signs of imminent decline or ascent.

No comments: