Leon the tourguide

Leon the tourguide
Leon the Tour Guide

Saturday, January 16, 2016

The Purpose of Religious Belief

I'm sure that the perpetrators of terror attacks carried out by Muslims are motivated by the thought of punishing the infidel or something like that, based on instructions in the holy books and beliefs.

From the little I know about Islam, Muslims want to convert the whole world to Islam or to destroy it in the process; redemption or destruction. But this is the basic agenda of all monotheistic religions; this is Judaism's intention also, only Judaism has a method of “wait and let events take their natural course”. Islam and Christianity have a more active approach to reaching this absurd goal. 

I emphasize that I don't consider these beliefs absurd. I consider the goals based on these beliefs as absurd. 

I consider those beliefs very wise. Mohammed, Jesus, Moses and a host of others were very wise people and logically figured out what the world needs to survive forever. It's a very attractive idea. But it's not practical or realizable..

They've produced wonderful books with beautiful, powerful words. But these ideals are only good in theory. It's absurd to try and realize them. They are beautiful dreams.

We make a big deal out of wisdom, which is as it should be. I love wise words. I try to fill my days with them. I love them and they are mostly what I think and dream about.

But should I try to apply that wisdom to my life? God forbid. By no means. Wisdom must be kept in libraries, cinemas, theatres, art galleries etc. even churches etc. But God forbid that we should ever be so mad as to try and realize them. Their reality is in their creation. I will never dream of trying to turn my life into the painting of a beautiful scene I happen to see in an art gallery.

We love creativity and wisdom so much and they are expressed with such force that we forget to consider whether it's feasible. We humans must decide what is feasible and what is not. God gave us laws and we must choose which to keep and which not to keep.

For God's sake don't think that God means us to obey all His laws. That is ridiculous because we will get crazy in the effort.

It wouldn't make sense for God to command us not to keep His laws. The best He could do to help us is to give us the example of Adam. God commanded and Adam disobeyed and that's what He expects us to do.


No comments: